Volvox

Several years ago (around 2003) I made my mind up that one day, I was going to photograph a volvox after learning about these fascinating little creatures. They're somewhere between the plant and animal kingdom. A volvox is a colony of sisters, but they use photosynthesis / chlorophyll like plants do.
Volvox
Made a goal, stuck to it, and made it happen.

Today, after all this time, I captured my first volvox. Mind you, it's not much of one, but it is a volvox. And, for all case and purpose, that's what matters. I've tried multiple samples of algae over the weekend, and today I tried a new pond out (out back of the Aquaculture facility) and in the dissection microscope, I saw a volvox. Twice it was lost behind other material, but alas I did capture it on my camera.
Volvox
Enlarge Image
The volvox was located at the lower right hand corner of the photograph. Photograph made at Brunswick Community College by me of course. *smile*


Later this evening, I did capture a clean, green little volvox... all to itself, and made video and photos of it.
Volvox
Volvox
Volvox

Volvox

Volvox


Additional Links
Volvox, Images and Videos, Pg. 1
Volvox, Photographs, Pg. 2
Volvox, Photographs, Pg. 3
Volvox, Photographs, Pg. 4

No comments: